Thursday, January 19, 2012

SOPA may be DOA

Wow. Who knew Borepatch was this persuasive. It looks like SOPA is not going to pass. A whole bunch of the rats that used to be steering the ship are now jumping off of it:
The protest seemed to change the minds of lawmakers, including those that had strongly backed the bills in the past.

"We can find a solution that will protect lawful content. But this bill is flawed & that's why I'm withdrawing my support. #SOPA #PIPA," Republican Sen. Roy Blunt wrote on his official Twitter page.

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who was an initial co-sponsor of PIPA, reversed his position.

"I have decided to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act. Furthermore, I encourage Senator Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor. Instead, we should take more time to address the concerns raised by all sides, and come up with new legislation that addresses Internet piracy while protecting free and open access to the Internet," Rubio wrote on a Facebook post.

Rep Lee Terry (R-Neb.), an original co-sponsor of SOPA, also said he had changed his view.

"Thank you for your concern about #SOPA. I have asked to have my name removed from the bill. However, the economic impact of IP theft is real and a solution is needed," Terry wrote on Facebook.

2 comments:

Borepatch said...

I think that there's more to the story.

http://borepatch.blogspot.com/2012/01/utter-security-disaster-that-was-sopa.html

2cents said...

You mean it wasn't the fear of you exercising your awesome powers!?