Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Interplay between Protein L-Isoaspartyl Methyltransferase Activity and Insulin-Like Signaling to Extend Lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans

Let me translate: ANOTHER REASON TO DRINK BEER!!!!


Yet another peer reviewed scientific study by a real scientist (Steven Clarke in PLoS) found a link between alcohol and living longer.  He used these little worms called  Caenorhabditis elegans nematodes (see image below):


He basically boozed them up.  Normally, these tiny worms have a lifespan of 15 days.  After he put them on a beer diet, they lived for 40 days!  Heck, that means I should live past 200 years.  One draw back was the tiny amount of alcohol he gave them.  It turns out he diluted it to about the equivalent of a tablespoon of beer in a bathtub of water.  However, I figure if a little is that good for you, a lot must be a whole lot better.  So with my rate of beer consumption factored in, I am damned near going to live forever.

No comments: