Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Santorum Sweep

If I were to just read the MSM, I would be shocked with what I woke up to this morning.  Everyone seems to trumpeting the Santorum Sweep as yet another sea change in the Republican Primary.  However, I will ask this trivia question which I do no believe I saw anywhere in an article today: How many delegates did Santorum win last night?  Answer: none.  That is right, none.  Minnesota was an open delegate caucus.  By the time the convention comes around my bet is that they will all be voting for Mitt because he will have the nomination tied up and because they are merely electors at the convention and not bound to anyone.  It is also worth noting that Mitt essentially did not campaign in Minnesota.  Missouri was a non-binding "beauty contest" vote that once again Mitt did not campaign in.  Colorado is also an open delegate state.  So practically speaking, no one won any delegates there, either.  However, I think this one has to be troubling for him.  Colorado was a State he did campaign in.  Plus he won it last time over John McCain.  The fact that he lost it because of big turn outs (in admittedly little caucuses that are easy for an ardent few to control) in conservative corners of the State like Colorado Springs has to be telling him he is running to much toward the middle and had better start thinking about his right flank.  You cannot win a general election until you first win the nomination.

No comments: